Mike Deeks is the Managing Director of Forgacs Marine and Defence Pty Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of Civmec Construction and Engineering Pty Ltd. He is also the Managing Director of ForgacsValco, a joint venture with French valve company, Valco.
Mr Deeks has a wealth of experience, having held several senior roles in the defence industry over the past 12 years, including being part of the WA Government Defence Industry development team and a key driver behind the expansion of the Defence and Marine Industries in WA.
His 32-year naval career included command of the submarines HMAS OTWAY (1989-90) and HMAS ORION (1990-92 and 1993-95) and the Fleet Replenishment ship HMAS SUCCESS (2000-01). His last role in the Royal Australian Navy, was as the Commander of the Australian Submarine Group and the Senior Defence Officer in WA (2001 - 2004). He retired in the rank of Commodore in 2005.
Past board roles include:
- Deputy Chair of the Governing Council of Challenger Institute,
- Non-Executive Director, Pilbara Ports Authority and Dampier Port Authority,
- member of the WA State Training Board,
- Chair of Stepping Stones Child Development Centre, and
- President and Executive Director of the Submarine Institute of Australia.
Prior to joining Civmec, Mr Deeks was the WA Site Executive for Raytheon Australia.